Direct Support Professional
This position is responsible for providing direct support, positive direction and assistance to individuals in accordance with program policies and procedures and personal outcome measures. We offer paid training and flexible scheduling.
Education: Must be at least 18 years of age. No prior experience or training required.
- High school graduate or equivalent. Additional experience with people with developmental disabilities preferred or as required by regulations. Must be 18 years of age, or older.
- As applicable, must possess a valid driver s license and good driving record as defined by Harry Meyering s policy.
- Additional certifications may be required by regulations. Some positions may require access to a vehicle in sound operating condition and proof of current auto insurance.
- Clear background checks as defined by regulations and policies.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to do daily standing, bending and lifting.
- Must be able to stand for eight hours at a time.
- Interest in assisting people supported to achieve personal outcomes and to provide person-centered supports. Must possess good verbal, reading and written communication in English, basic math skills and basic computer skills. Ability and willingness to successfully complete and apply training.
- Have the ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others. Flexibility with respect to hours of work and changing conditions be of good moral character and have an interest in the welfare of the individuals, have training and/or interest in the field of developmental disabilities and have a willingness/ability to communicate with and relate to individuals, parents, guardians, fellow-staff, representatives of community agencies and company management.
- Supports the Mission, Values and Vision of the Harry Meyering Center.
- Assist individuals with daily personal cares (toileting, bathing, feeding).
- Demonstrates responsible work habits.
- Supervises and assists individuals with routine activities of daily living.
- Implements programs and procedures as written.
- Documents and communicates information for programming.
- Initiates leisure opportunities and encourages participation.
- Interacts with individuals in a genuine and respectful manner.
- Supports and/or provides for medical needs of individuals.
- Maintains cleanliness of the home/apartment.
- Supports team-oriented work environments.
- Provides safe working and living environments.
- Pursues professional growth and development.
- Fills unstructured shift time with relevant job-related tasks; these may include, but are not limited, to interactions with individuals, activities, cleaning, etc.
- Assists supervisor with various tasks and special projects as directed.